Chennai rains: A DMK functionary and a govt staff had died amidst downpour...Here's what happened!

Chennai and its suburbs have been bracing up incessant rainfall for the past few days and on Wednesday - November 29, the city has recorded extremely heavy rainfall. The countinuous spell of the downpour has sparked major disruptions across the city and also caused casualties. The spell began during the evening hours of Wednesday and lasted for nearly five hours. 

Several parts of the city from Meenambakkam, Anna Nagar, to Ambattur had witnessed intense showers and waterloggings that resulted in severe bottleneck. Hundreds of officegoers, who were on their way home, got stranded amidst dozens of vehicles as crucial roads had overwhelmed with traffic jams. The disturbing scale of rainfall has come days ahead of Cyclone Michaung, which will make a landfall on the northern districts of Tamil Nadu, including Chennai, during the first week of December. 

In the wake of incessant rainfall, Chennai has reported the death of two people, who were died due to electrocution. The two deceased include a DMK functionary and a government staff attached to Tamil Nadu Electricity Board TANGEDCO. The deceased DMK functionary has been identified as 55-year-old Sampath Kumar, who is also a public prosecutor of the Madras High Court. 

It has been reported that Sampath Kumar died of electrocution when he stepped on a steel plate that was placed in front of a shop in Korattur. According to reports, Sampath Kumar was walking on Jambukeswarar Road at around 7 pm on Wednesday and when the rainfall started, he took shelter under the shed of a welding shop and when he stepped on a steel sheet on the ground, he was thrown off. 

The officials of the Electricity Board said a power leakage from the workshop electrified the steel plates, that killed Sampath Kumar. After his demise, the Korattur police had booked a case against the private workshop on the grounds of negligence. On the other hand, another person who had died was identified as 32-year-old Jagadish, who was working as a gangman in the electricity department.

Jagadish died due to electrocution while working on a high-tension cable at Pazhavanthagal during the morning hours of Wesnesday. A native of Tirunelveli, Jagadish went to the spot at around 3.30 am to attend a complaint. Jagadish's death had sparked protests as the members of the CITU had protested, demanding the government not to engage gangmen for work on live cables.