Within two months after acquiring Twitter for $44 billion, Elon Musk has made a big announcement that he will step down from the role of Twitter CEO (Chief Executive Officer) after he finds what he called 'foolish successor'. Musk's annoucement has come a day after he had egg on his face with a majority of his followers apparently expressed that they dislike his leadership in Twitter that took controversial and erratic turns like never before.
Embarrassed Elon Musk had abided by the poll results and announced that after the leadership transition in Twitter, he will run the software and severs teams. Replying to the poll result that had 57.5% of his followers voting against his leadership, Elon Musk on Tuesday wrote, "I will resign as CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job! After that, I will just run the software & servers teams."
His announcement displayed a vivid message that he will continue exercising the command in key areas even after the transition. He didn't immediately respond to the poll results and several users across the globe had urged Musk to obey the results and step down as the CEO. While Musk said he has no successor in his mind, it was reported that he will less likely abide by the poll and leave the top job that has given him more dominance and influence on one of the global social media giants.
Musk's brief tenure as CEO had set historical precedents in Twitter, from facing a chaotic leadership to causing more concerns to Tweeple and one of them being the paid subscription for the Twitter 'blue tick'. Under his leadership, Twitter has unprecedently fired majority of its staff and seen implementation of hardcore reforms. Amid facing setbacks, Musk was also enduring a downfall in his fortune.
In his brief-but-bothering tenure to the users, Musk has welcomed former US President Donald Trump back to Twitter by revoking his suspension that was imposed on his after stirring riots at the US Capitol. Several investors had questioned whether Musk is getting distracted from running his electric vehicle automaker Tesla and recently, he lost his tag as the world's richest person to French billionaire Bernard Arnault.
Musk acquired Twitter in the late October this year and within two months, Tweeple had several events to showcase that their equation with the chaotic chief is fragile while most of the staff members in Twitter had a souring relationship with him. Many employees saw Musk's hardcore reformations as a warning and as a coercion that they need to accept his leadership. A flock of employees quit Twitter and some expressed that they are happy to leave the organization.
In the midst of the turbulent leadership tenure, Musk came up with a decision of tossing his leadership based on the opinion poll. On December 19, he launched his signature opinion poll on Twitter and asked his 122 million followers "Should I step down as head of Twitter? I will abide by the results of this poll." Taking a prospect to weigh his leadership and have their say, a majority of his followers want him to step down as the Twitter CEO, the moment that perhaps put him in embarrassment.
As per the poll, 57.5% of his followers asked him to step down from his post while the rest 42.5% came in support of him. As the majority of his followers expressed their say in a globally-known poll, Musk was in a pressure whether or not to count his poll like the previous ones including the poll in favour of Trump which he said, "The people have spoken." Interestingly, this poll has sparked celebrities to create their own polls asking their fans whether they should pursue the apex job of Twitter.
However, Musk had earlier denied that he has a new CEO in his mind. Responding to such independent polls, Musk wrote, "No one wants the job who can actually keep Twitter alive. There is no successor." In another tweet, he wrote, "The question is not finding a CEO, the question is finding a CEO who can keep Twitter alive." On the other hand, the result of this poll has apparently shown that Musk's followers are not happy with him as Twitter CEO and several Tweeple have urged him to obey to his result like he did for earlier opinion polls. Finally, Musk has now directly divulged that he will resign as CEO of Twitter and pressed that he will not relinquish his entire command from the organization.
I will resign as CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job! After that, I will just run the software & servers teams.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December 21, 2022