The multiple episodes of the nationwide lockdown have given space for rumors where the recent development holds the testament after the reports from nowhere had claimed that there will be another lockdown from September 25 owing to the exponential rise of COVID-19 cases, leaving the people to the state of perplexion.
The circular, which was dated September 10, was rampantly spread on social media. By quoting the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), the circular instructed the Indian government to impose another phase of lockdown from September 25 and while it was circulated under the name of the government's agency, it raised speculations on whether the nation would be brought under the complete embargo.
The order, which claimed to be from NDMA, said, "In order to contain the spread of COVID-19 and decrease the mortality rate in the country, the National Disaster Management Authority, along with the Planning Commission, hereby urges the Government of India and directs the Prime Minister Office, Ministry of Home Affairs to re-impose a strict nationwide lockdown of 46 days starting from midnight 25th September 2020. Maintaining the supply chain of Essential Commodities in the country, therefore hereby NDMA is issuing a prior notice to the Ministry to plan accordingly".
Ever since the order was captured, it has been widely shared across social media. However, the Press Information Bureau (PIB) has taken to Twitter and spelled the report of imposing another lockdown as a hoax. By citing that the order as fake, PIB asserted that NDMA hasn't issued any such an order.
In its statement, PIB said, "Claim: An order purportedly issued by National Disaster Management Authority claims that it has directed the government to re-impose a nationwide #Lockdown from 25th September. #PIBFactCheck: This order is #Fake. @ndmaindia has not issued any such order to re-impose lockdown".
Claim: An order purportedly issued by National Disaster Management Authority claims that it has directed the government to re-impose a nationwide #Lockdown from 25th September. #PIBFactCheck: This order is #Fake. @ndmaindia has not issued any such order to re-impose lockdown. pic.twitter.com/J72eeA62zl— PIB Fact Check (@PIBFactCheck) September 12, 2020
The circulation of such fake news had come in a high time when the nation has been enjoying the large-scale relaxations from September 1 while the center had poured the fourth phase of unlocking the lockdown. From September, the Center has relaxed the restrictions on the movements of people and goods and permitted the resumptions and re-openings of various channels and establishments.
Though the PIB had pronounced such reports as fake on September 12, some reports suggest that many are still receiving the fake message and are being widely shared. According to the Union Health Ministry, India has reported 83,809 fresh cases in the last 24 hours till Tuesday morning 8 am which taken the tally to 4.93 million so far. The country had also witnessed 1,054 fresh deaths in the last 24 hours taking the death toll over 80,000. India is the second-worst affected country in the world by the pandemic after the United States.