Kodanad case: TN Police fly abroad to trace the witness as trouble mounts for ADMK!

The events that are unfolding in connection with the Kodanad heist and murder case have been prescribing one thing- the case is inching towards the climax as the trouble mounts for ADMK and for former Chief Minister Edappadi Palaniswami as he has been alleged to have played the role in the case. After the change of guard in Tamil Nadu, the DMK has formed the government and recently, MK Stalin's regime has kickstarted the investigation into the case by questioning one of the prime accused in the case, Sayan.

Sayan was the one who in 2019 alleged that the murder and robbery had happened as per the instructions from Edappadi Palaniswami when the latter was serving as the Chief Minister. When the Tamil Nadu police questioned Sayan, it has resurrected the case that was kept idle during the ADMK's rule and troubled Palaniswami and he had protested against the DMK government for trapping him in the case. Amid the protests, the ADMK had also fought a legal battle to stop the investigation from moving forward. However, both the Madras High Court and Supreme Court had dismissed the petitions from the ADMK to stop the probe.

The judicial bodies had given a go-ahead for the Tamil Nadu police to investigate the case and with the green signal, the state enforcement agency has intensified the probe and trace out the witnesses. In the measure of speeding up the investigations, a special team of the Tamil Nadu police had now left for Nepal to trace and bring Krishna Bahadur Thapa, who was working in the Kodanad estate as a security guard.

According to reports, Thapa was the only eyewitness of the robbery and murder that happened in the Kodanad estate in April 2017. Kodanad estate, which sits near Kothagiri in the Nilgiris district, was belonged to late Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and she had used the palatial palace for her retreat. The heist and murder had happened months after Jayalalithaa's demise and before entering the premises, the robbers had killed Om Bahadhur Thapa, one of the security guards, who barricaded the trespass. While the robbers had killed Om Bahadhur Thapa, they went on to injure Krishna Bahadur Thapa.

After the incident and investigation, Krishna Bahadur Thapa has left for his home country of Nepal and was never called again for investigation as the case didn't have good progress under the ADMK's regime. It must be noted that during the trial in 2019, the court had directed the prosecution to produce Thapa for further examination. However, the police didn't produce him in the court and after two years, the police had now rushed to Nepal to trace and bring Thapa as he is the main witness of the case. Besides the special team's tour for Nepal, the police had on Thursday opened the probe against all the ten accused persons and eight of them were summoned for further questioning.

The reports say that the police have been taking measures to recall some of the witnesses who were removed from the case by the previous government as the case has been getting intensifying. Inspector-General of Police (West Zone) R Sudhakar and Deputy Inspector General MS Muthusamy are directly watching the investigation in Ooty as the probe goes to the next level with the signals that there are a pile of shockwaves that Tamil Nadu awaits to witness from further developments.