Justice for Nirbhaya: One of the convicts had filed a curative petition!

While the gallows have been prepared to execute all the four convicts of Nirbhaya gang-rape case, one of the convicts Vinay Sharma has, on Thursday, approached the Supreme court with his curative petition as the last legal option to dismiss the death warrant that was pronounced against him by the Delhi court. 

He has tabled his plea in the country's top judicial body exactly two days after the death penalty for the four convicts who, as per the order, would be hanged to death on January 22nd at 7 am at the Tihar prison complex, where they have been lodged currently. The counsel of Vinay Sharma AP Singh said that his client has submitted the curative petition with the view of seeking the directive from the apex court to stay the death penalty.

                   Vinay Sharma - File photo


In his petition, Vinay Sharma has stated that he was 19-years-old during the time of the incident and added that his age and socio-economic background weren't considered. His counsel has said that the Supreme court has reduced the death sentence to the life term sentence for about 17 rape and murder cases that had accused minors and asked that Vinay Sharma must be granted with the same relief.

The four convicts of Nirbhaya case who would be executed on January 22nd - File photo


On January 7th, the Delhi court bench comprised of Justice Satish Kumar Arora has pronounced the verdict of death sentence to the convicts in the rape case that had shocked, convulsed, and brought in huge anxiety across the entire nation on the women's safety and security. Akshay Thakur Singh (31), Mukesh (32), Pawan Gupta (25), and Vinay Sharma (26) are the four who would be stepping on the gallows and they are among the total of six accused as one juvenile was already acquitted while the other had hanged himself to death in the prison cell.


Nirbhaya, a 23-year-old paramedic student was tortured, assaulted, and gang-raped with an iron rod on a moving bus in South Delhi on December 16th, 2012. After brutally raping her, the convicts had reportedly thrown her on the road, naked and with bleeding and the unprecedented crime against Nirbhaya had erupted the heatwaves across the country where thousands had marched on the streets to punish the perpetrators and she was taken to Mount Elizabeth hospital in Singapore for higher treatments but she died there on December 29th and amidst the serious protests, the police had detained six accused - four of whom the court had issued with death warrant, nearly after seven years.

Also read: https://www.thenewstuff.in/nirbhaya-case-delhi-court-has-awarded-death-sentence-all-convicts